graphic
News > Deals
DuPont may sell Conoco
August 17, 1998: 9:41 a.m. ET

France's Elf Acquitaine reportedly in talks to buy oil unit for $24 billion
graphic
graphic graphic
graphic
NEW YORK (CNNfn) - Shares of DuPont Co. climbed more than two points in pre-market trading Monday, sparked by a report that the chemicals giant is about to sell its Conoco oil unit.
     According to a British newspaper, French oil concern Elf Aquitaine wants to buy Conoco for $24 billion. DuPont and Elf Aquitaine (ELF) have declined to comment on the report.
     DuPont (DD) shares climbed to 55-3/8 in pre-market trading, up 2-1/8 from Friday's close of 53-1/4.
     The report comes less than one week after British Petroleum PLC said it would acquire Amoco for $48 billion. That deal spurred speculation among some analysts of further consolidation in the oil industry.
     Earlier this year, DuPont announced plans to spin-off 20 percent of Conoco, then sell off the remaining 80 percent over the next several years.
     Conoco, which DuPont acquired in 1981, is the ninth-largest oil company in the United States, with revenues of approximately $22 billion. Back to top

  RELATED STORIES

DuPont disappoints in 2Q - July 22, 1998

DuPont buys all of venture - May 19, 1998

  RELATED SITES

DuPont

related site link


Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNNmoney




graphic

Most stock quote data provided by BATS. Market indices are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer.

Morningstar: © 2014 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Factset: FactSet Research Systems Inc. 2014. All rights reserved.

Chicago Mercantile Association: Certain market data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved.

Dow Jones: The Dow Jones branded indices are proprietary to and are calculated, distributed and marketed by DJI Opco, a subsidiary of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC and have been licensed for use to S&P Opco, LLC and CNN. Standard & Poor's and S&P are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC and Dow Jones is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC. All content of the Dow Jones branded indices © S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC 2014 and/or its affiliates.

Most stock quote data provided by BATS. Market indices are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer.

Morningstar: © 2014 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Factset: FactSet Research Systems Inc. 2014. All rights reserved.

Chicago Mercantile Association: Certain market data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved.

Dow Jones: The Dow Jones branded indices are proprietary to and are calculated, distributed and marketed by DJI Opco, a subsidiary of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC and have been licensed for use to S&P Opco, LLC and CNN. Standard & Poor's and S&P are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC and Dow Jones is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC. All content of the Dow Jones branded indices © S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC 2014 and/or its affiliates.