Personal Finance > Taxes
    SAVE   |   EMAIL   |   PRINT   |   RSS  
IRS has $73M in undelivered refunds
Over 84,000 taxpayers affected; average amount due is $871.
October 26, 2005: 10:14 AM EDT
By Rob Kelley, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Does the IRS owe you money? The IRS said it has refund checks for 84,290 taxpayers who did not receive them for the 2004 tax year.

The agency has introduced a section on its Web site -- "Where's My Refund?" -- to help taxpayers figure out why their checks may not have arrived, and get them into proper hands.

Refunds totalling over $73 million could not be delivered in 2005 because of address problems. The average amount owed to taxpayers is $871.

After taxpayers submit the necessary personal information on "Where's My Refund?", the site will show the status of a refund and, if necessary, instructions to resolve account issues.

If a change of address was the reason behind the undelivered check, the taxpayer should fill out IRS Form 8822 for Change of Address. The form can also be requested by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

Taxpayers without Internet access are encouraged to first check their records or ask their tax preparer, then call the IRS assistant line at 1-800-829-1040.

The agency also encourages taxpayers to elect for Direct Deposit -- which 52 million elected in 2005 -- which refunds directly into a personal checking or savings account.


IRS refunds hit $182 billion this year -- full story here.

Take a look at the biggest mistakes people make in filing taxes -- here.

For all the latest stories on Taxes, click here.  Top of page

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
Manage alerts | What is this?