Good grief: Peanuts gang rights sold for $175 million

By Chavon Sutton, staff reporter


NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A New York-based brand management company said Tuesday it would acquire the Peanuts brand in partnership with the family of the characters' creator, Charles M. Schulz, for $175 million.

Iconix Brand Group (ICON) and the Schulzes will purchase the licensing, character rights and other assets from United Features Syndicate and The E.W. Scripps Company, two publishing houses. Iconix said it will retain an 80% ownership stake in the new company, while the Schulzes will hold the remaining 20%.

Peanuts will be added to Iconix's list of household consumer brands such as Joe Boxer, Candies, Cannon and Danskin. The company also has business relationships with theme parks, media companies, and financial institutions.

"Owning the Peanuts business moves Iconix well beyond fashion into a true global brand management entity." said Neil Cole, chairman and chief executive of Iconix in a statement.

Schulz's characters, including Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Peppermint Patty and Linus, have found their way into millions of homes through national newspaper comic strips and television specials.

Since Schulz's death in early 2000, the brand has been managed by family-owned Charles M. Schulz Creative Associates, in partnership with United Media Licensing, a division of UFS. The Peanuts brand is currently licensed in over 40 countries and generates annual sales of over $2 billion. The deal with Iconix will end a 60-year relationship between United Media and the Schulz family.

"Peanuts now has the best of both worlds, family ownership and the vision and resources of Iconix to perpetuate what my father created throughout the next century with all the goodwill his lovable characters bring," said Craig Schulz, son of the late cartoonist.

Iconix forecast the Peanuts franchise would generate $75 million in annual royalty revenue. The costs to run the Peanuts business is likely to be higher than its existing businesses because of a contractual revenue share with the Schulz heirs in addition to the 20% ownership stake.

"We believe Peanuts' large global footprint and broad licensing relationships will also open up new doors for our existing portfolio of brands and future acquisitions," said Iconix's Cole.  To top of page

Frontline troops push for solar energy
The U.S. Marines are testing renewable energy technologies like solar to reduce costs and casualties associated with fossil fuels. Play
25 Best Places to find rich singles
Looking for Mr. or Ms. Moneybags? Hunt down the perfect mate in these wealthy cities, which are brimming with unattached professionals. More
Fun festivals: Twins to mustard to pirates!
You'll see double in Twinsburg, Ohio, and Ketchup lovers should beware in Middleton, WI. Here's some of the best and strangest town festivals. Play
Index Last Change % Change
Dow 18,081.81 57.64 0.32%
Nasdaq 4,786.71 21.29 0.45%
S&P 500 2,087.05 4.88 0.23%
Treasuries 2.29 0.03 1.51%
Data as of Dec 24
Company Price Change % Change
Bank of America Corp... 18.04 0.12 0.64%
Gilead Sciences Inc 92.34 2.89 3.23%
General Electric Co 25.71 -0.17 -0.66%
Cisco Systems Inc 28.57 0.32 1.13%
Apple Inc 112.22 -0.32 -0.28%
Data as of Dec 24

Sections

The city's sanitation commissioner is expected to decide whether recycling foam containers is "environmentally effective" and "economically feasible," by January 1, 2015. More

Cheap gas spreads with a half dozen states poised to join Missouri offering drivers gas for less than $2 a gallon. More

To save a rocket, SpaceX will attempt rocket archery: nailing a bullseye by landing a lower rocket booster on a relatively tiny ocean barge. More

According to data from Google Trends and GrubHub, Chinese food remains the most popular type of food order on Christmas. More

After losing their daughter to liver failure and getting hit with $200,000 in student loans, the Mason family is finally getting financial relief. More

Most stock quote data provided by BATS. Market indices are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer.

Morningstar: © 2014 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Factset: FactSet Research Systems Inc. 2014. All rights reserved.

Chicago Mercantile Association: Certain market data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved.

Dow Jones: The Dow Jones branded indices are proprietary to and are calculated, distributed and marketed by DJI Opco, a subsidiary of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC and have been licensed for use to S&P Opco, LLC and CNN. Standard & Poor's and S&P are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC and Dow Jones is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC. All content of the Dow Jones branded indices © S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC 2014 and/or its affiliates.