EA signs five-year Facebook deal

By Julianne Pepitone, staff reporter


NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Electronic Arts has signed a five-year deal to use Facebook Credits as the only accepted method of payment for its games on the social networking site.

Under the terms of the deal, EA will receive 70% of revenue from Facebook Credits and Facebook gets the other 30%. Consumers use the credits to play games and buy virtual goods within the apps.

EA's (ERTS, Fortune 500) catalog includes games from Playfish, an app maker EA bought last fall. Playfish games Pet Society and Restaurant City are two of the top 10 games on Facebook, as measured by daily active users.

"Gaming has emerged as the most popular category of applications on Facebook," said Barry Cottle, a senior vice president at EA Interactive. "The natural step is for EA to broaden its relationship with Facebook."

The deal announced Tuesday is a boon for Facebook, which has made a big push for Facebook Credits. Facebook has been trying to formalize relationships with gaming companies -- and get rid of bad blood.

For example, Zynga was reportedly threatening to pull its games off Facebook and start its own platform earlier this year.

The Credits revenue split was reportedly one of the main sticking points, but Zynga signed its own five-year deal with Facebook in September. It, like EA, will also receive 70% of revenue from Facebook Credits.

Earlier this year, Facebook made similar five-year deals with two other major social gaming companies: Playdom, which is now owned by Walt Disney (DIS, Fortune 500), and Crowdstar.

After announcing the deal, EA reported fiscal second-quarter earnings after the closing bell. The company lost $201 million, or 61 cents a share, narrowing from a loss of $1.21 a share a year earlier. Excluding one-time items, EA earned 10 cents a share. Analysts were expecting an adjusted loss of 10 cents a share.

Shares of EA ended 2.5% higher at $16.01 on Tuesday but dropped almost 2% in after-hours action. To top of page

Frontline troops push for solar energy
The U.S. Marines are testing renewable energy technologies like solar to reduce costs and casualties associated with fossil fuels. Play
25 Best Places to find rich singles
Looking for Mr. or Ms. Moneybags? Hunt down the perfect mate in these wealthy cities, which are brimming with unattached professionals. More
Fun festivals: Twins to mustard to pirates!
You'll see double in Twinsburg, Ohio, and Ketchup lovers should beware in Middleton, WI. Here's some of the best and strangest town festivals. Play
Index Last Change % Change
Dow 16,262.56 89.32 0.55%
Nasdaq 4,034.16 11.47 0.29%
S&P 500 1,842.98 12.37 0.68%
Treasuries 2.63 -0.01 -0.42%
Data as of 4:42am ET
Company Price Change % Change
Bank of America Corp... 16.39 0.40 2.47%
Facebook Inc 59.09 0.20 0.34%
Yahoo! Inc 34.21 0.76 2.29%
The Coca-Cola Co 40.18 1.45 3.74%
Intel Corp 26.77 0.21 0.79%
Data as of Apr 15
Sponsors

Sections

GM CEO Mary Barra announced that the automaker has created a new "global product integrity" unit to ensure that a" situation like the ignition-switch recall doesn't happen again." More

Observers are warning that risks of a blow up in China's property market are rising, threatening a slowdown that could hurt global growth. More

Yahoo is still in the midst of its turnaround, but investors liked what they saw in the company's first-quarter results. More

Schwinn, Trek and Cannondale are all iconic American bicycle brands. But none of them are made in the United States. More

In its ongoing battle to fight blight, Detroit is launching a website where it will auction off vacant homes seized in tax foreclosures. More

Market indexes are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer LIBOR Warning: Neither BBA Enterprises Limited, nor the BBA LIBOR Contributor Banks, nor Reuters, can be held liable for any irregularity or inaccuracy of BBA LIBOR. Disclaimer. Morningstar: © 2014 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer The Dow Jones IndexesSM are proprietary to and distributed by Dow Jones & Company, Inc. and have been licensed for use. All content of the Dow Jones IndexesSM © 2014 is proprietary to Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Chicago Mercantile Association. The market data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved. FactSet Research Systems Inc. 2014. All rights reserved. Most stock quote data provided by BATS.