Joel Shearer, a founding member of the band, records their music under his own label, but has a deal with Iris Records for digital distribution of Pedestrian's music in places like iTunes and Napster. Why go indie? Shearer says Pedestrian wants to avoid the boom-and-bust career model of a major-label artist; he'd rather have the flexibility to make albums for the next 20 years, rather than risk having one big hit and then disappearing.
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work