To make every gallon count, Obama wants to place more stringent requirements on automakers.
· Double fuel economy standards within 18 years while maintaining current flexibility.
· Offer $7,000 tax credit to buyers of plug-in hybrids.
· Mandate all new cars be flex-fuel capable.
· Provide $4 billion in retooling credits and loans to help domestic manufacturers switch to more fuel-efficient cars.
· Aim to get 1 million 150 mile-per-gallon plug-in hybrids on the roads within six years.
· Support creation of more transit-friendly communities and level employer commuting assistance for driving and public transit.
"I have a plan to raise the fuel standards in our cars and trucks with technology we have on the shelf today -- technology that will make sure we get more miles to the gallon." -- Obama*
NEXT: Energy Security
Source: *June 24, 2008, Speech, Las Vegas, Nev.