"It's almost like the 3Fs [friends, family and fools], except that they don't know you," Siegel says. "Likewise, the process can move very quickly and there can be flexibility in the structure of the return." Also, there are dozens of angel groups across the nation to tap; the Angel Capital Association has details.
Cons: "They are wildcards," Siegel warns. "They have their own rulebook, because it's their own money."
"It is essential that the requirements of the deal are laid out before the angel invests," says CPA and business consultant Robert Chalfin. Also, as with venture capitalists, bringing in an angel means you'll have another shareholder in the company.
NEXT: Credit cards
- Airline stocks slump after Spain terror attacks
- Stocks: 5 things to know before the bell
- Machines, not Americans, could replace immigrant labor
- James Murdoch slams Trump: 'There are no good Nazis'
- 'Evil strikes again' -- Media reacts to Barcelona attack
- Top Indian tech CEO quits over 'malicious' attacks