2008 rank: #13
Finland boasts some of the lowest costs for importing and exporting goods, at under $600 per container. It also ranks among the top 10 economies for the time it takes to obtain a construction permit, at only take 38 days, although the cost is high.
Recent reforms in Finland have streamlined court-supervised reorganization and made reorganization more accessible to troubled companies. Bankruptcy proceedings can be completed in less than a year, at a relatively low cost.
Areas in which Finland didn't perform so well in the "Doing Business" report include employing workers - rigid laws make it hard to hire and fire employees - and paying taxes, which takes 269 paperwork hours a year.
NEXT: 15. Georgia
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work