Location: Erie, Colo.
Surveillance system: Envysion
Cost: $850 to install 4 cameras, plus a monthly $160 subscription fee.
Used since: April 2007
Owner Ryan Elmore caught employees leaving early, cutting corners in the kitchen and giving out free meals to friends. By watching remotely, he was able to cut down on overstaffing and absenteeism and improve customer service. As a result, his profits grew 43% last year.
NEXT: Improving customer service
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work