Location: Sunnyvale, Calif.
Surveillance system: Connexed
Cost: $5,000 for 15 cameras, plus $20 per month.
Used since: September 2007
Serious Materials develops and manufactures green building materials. In both his Sunnyvale and Newark locations, CEO Kevin Surace uses his 15 cameras to make sure materials don't head out the door with the staff.
"It's good to see who is going in and out, particularly after hours," he says.
In addition to monitoring who is leaving early and who is leaving late, he is able to see where mistakes are made in the production process, helping him prevent recurrences. And if there were ever an accident, he'd have it on record for review.
NEXT: Lowering insurance premiums
- With cameras banned, CNN sends sketch artist to White House briefing
- What's in the Senate Republican health care bill
- Silicon Valley rocked by sexual harassment claims - again
- How the GOP health care bills help the rich
- Store closings have tripled so far this year
- Coolest hotel bars for business travelers in 2017