VCs have all seen umpteen business plans, so don't project growth that few startups in history have ever achieved. "Most business plans magically assume revenues of $5 million by year two and $50 million by year five," says McIlwain of Madrona Venture Group, which led the syndicate that backed Apptio with $7 million. "I'm interested in the 24-month plan that lays out milestones showing how a company plans to create and capture value."
NEXT: Be right on the money
- Fed chair calls bitcoin 'highly speculative'
- Federal Reserve lifts rates again
- Navajo Nation sues Wells Fargo over 'predatory' sales practices
- MP to Facebook: Look harder for Russian Brexit meddling
- How a dead woman campaigned against net neutrality
- JPMorgan fund for Detroit entrepreneurs just tripled