Here's the trick to smart hiring: Call references, ask them the right questions, and listen hard to their answers. Key question: "If Bob is so great, how come he doesn't work for you anymore?" I want to hear this kind of reply: "Bob is brilliant. I'd rehire him in a second, but his wife got transferred." A long silence at the other end of the line tells me this candidate isn't worth my while.
NEXT: Fear of firing
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work