When these well-known brands went bust, franchise owners were left to soldier on with a tarnished brand.
Salt Lake City, Utah
In August 2008, Mrs. Fields Famous, the parent brand of 1,200 TCBY and Mrs. Fields Cookies stores, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It didn't last long. In October, the company emerged, having restructured its $196 million in debt down to $50 million. Its franchisees kept operating throughout.
NEXT: Rebuilding from the ground up
- The places hardest hit by soaring gas prices
- America's cereal, soda and soup companies are in turmoil
- Gas prices are up 31% from last Memorial Day. Here's why
- The curious case of the White House official Trump says 'doesn't exist'
- So you want to be a sports agent? Here's what you should know
- How to make sure your Amazon Echo doesn't send secret recordings