When these well-known brands went bust, franchise owners were left to soldier on with a tarnished brand.
Salt Lake City, Utah
In August 2008, Mrs. Fields Famous, the parent brand of 1,200 TCBY and Mrs. Fields Cookies stores, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It didn't last long. In October, the company emerged, having restructured its $196 million in debt down to $50 million. Its franchisees kept operating throughout.
NEXT: Rebuilding from the ground up
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work