When these well-known brands went bust, franchise owners were left to soldier on with a tarnished brand.
Salt Lake City, Utah
In August 2008, Mrs. Fields Famous, the parent brand of 1,200 TCBY and Mrs. Fields Cookies stores, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It didn't last long. In October, the company emerged, having restructured its $196 million in debt down to $50 million. Its franchisees kept operating throughout.
NEXT: Rebuilding from the ground up
- Uber CEO orders sex harassment investigation
- Bernstein: Trump press attacks worse than Nixon
- Global arms trade hits highest level since end of Cold War
- This Mexican mom's big fear: Trump will take my job
- The boutique hotel CEO with an unconventional way
- Kraft Heinz pulls plug on massive Unilever bid