When these well-known brands went bust, franchise owners were left to soldier on with a tarnished brand.
Salt Lake City, Utah
In August 2008, Mrs. Fields Famous, the parent brand of 1,200 TCBY and Mrs. Fields Cookies stores, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It didn't last long. In October, the company emerged, having restructured its $196 million in debt down to $50 million. Its franchisees kept operating throughout.
NEXT: Rebuilding from the ground up
- We asked for your Toys 'R' Us memories. Hundreds of you replied.
- The stunning downfall of Bear Stearns and its bridge-playing CEO
- 10 years after the financial crisis, have we learned anything?
- Despite record profits, banks are playing the victim
- Europe reveals long list of US exports it could hit
- Snapchat loses $800 million after Rihanna responds to offensive ad