When these well-known brands went bust, franchise owners were left to soldier on with a tarnished brand.
Salt Lake City, Utah
In August 2008, Mrs. Fields Famous, the parent brand of 1,200 TCBY and Mrs. Fields Cookies stores, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It didn't last long. In October, the company emerged, having restructured its $196 million in debt down to $50 million. Its franchisees kept operating throughout.
NEXT: Rebuilding from the ground up
- It's true. Everyone eats Chinese food on Christmas
- Here's where all the Jews are hanging out on Xmas eve
- Unilever lays an egg: Drops Just Mayo lawsuit
- Alternative lenders are hot -- especially among millennials
- Sell your holiday gift cards for cash
- Reddit cofounder: The next Google is one visa away from leaving U.S.