When these well-known brands went bust, franchise owners were left to soldier on with a tarnished brand.
Salt Lake City, Utah
In August 2008, Mrs. Fields Famous, the parent brand of 1,200 TCBY and Mrs. Fields Cookies stores, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It didn't last long. In October, the company emerged, having restructured its $196 million in debt down to $50 million. Its franchisees kept operating throughout.
NEXT: Rebuilding from the ground up
- You get $500K. But first you have to move to Ohio.
- Take a weed break at work. It's allowed!
- These startups are heading to Richard Branson's private island
- 49 schools are getting this 3D carving machine for free
- She's only 33 and has 9 successful restaurants
- She left Iran at 14 and now runs a multimillion-dollar firm