What you need to know about how your family will benefit, what you'll really pay, whether you'll get better or worse care, and what could go wrong from here.
Ages: 38 and 36; kids, 6 and 10
Work status: Freelancers
Insurance: Individual policy
Within a year:
- Lifetime limits on their current policies will be lifted.
- If they buy a new policy, preventive care and screenings won't cost anything.
- They can buy an individual policy on a state exchange.
- With earnings of less than 400% of the poverty level (family of four today: $88,200), they'll be eligible for a subsidy worth around $1,000.
- They'll have a choice of four plan types. Their subsidy will be based on the price of the "silver" plan, which covers an average of 70% of medical costs.
- Out-of-pocket costs will initially be capped at $7,933 a year.
- If they don't buy insurance, they'll pay a penalty of the higher of 1% of income or $95.
NEXT: Small-business owners
Last updated April 21 2010: 5:35 PM ET
Source: Kaiser Family Foundation