Minimums to avoid fees:
• None on basic checking or Power Money Market
• $2,500 monthly balance on Plus Checking
• $7,500 on Premium Checking
• 0.01% on Plus Checking
• 0.05% on Premium Checking
• 0.15% on up to $25,000 on Power Money Market
Why it's a winner: Tiered checking options offer something for everyone. You can get free basic checking. Or if you can meet a minimum, two upper-level options buy you a safe-deposit box, waived bank fees for out-of-network ATMs, and interest.
The Premium account, which must be linked to another account, also reimburses ATM fees charged by other banks. The rate on the money market, which must also be linked, is a hair above average.
Caveat: Basic checking has a high $3 nonbank ATM fee.
Don't let the shaky economy stress you out. A grand can still improve your career prospects, lower investment risk, make your home safer and more.