Minimums to avoid fees:
• None on basic checking or Ultimate Savings
• $200 daily balance on basic savings
• $300 monthly balance on Checking Plus
• $2,000 daily balance on Gold Interest Checking
• 0.05% on Gold Interest Checking
• 0.08% on basic savings
• 0.20% above $5,000 on Ultimate Savings
Why it's a winner: Besides having no maintenance fee, Zions's basic checking has low foreign transaction fees (1%) and cash-back rewards on debit purchases from local merchants. Along with nominal yield, Gold Interest Checking earns you free checks and a safe-deposit box. Rates on Ultimate Savings are competitive.
Caveats: With basic checking, paper statements aren't free, and you can write only five checks a month ($2 each thereafter).
Don't let the shaky economy stress you out. A grand can still improve your career prospects, lower investment risk, make your home safer and more.