(FORTUNE Magazine) – Television executives are in the unenviable position of figuring out what makes the public laugh. Luckily there is humor in this year's TV pilots--unfortunately, most of it is unintentional. Guess which three of the following shows are in contention for the fall schedule and which are FORTUNE creations.
--Tim Carvell and Henry Goldblatt
1. AFRICANTASTIC! Sally Struthers (All in the Family) and Mayim Bialik (Blossom) are mother-daughter missionaries to Africa; they share tips on distilling water, preventing heat stroke--and dating!
2. BEV (formerly known as Town Slut). Bev has three kids by three fathers! Will she ever be able to restore her reputation?
3. IN STYLE: THE SITCOM Halle Berry and Heather Locklear play themselves in the first sitcom spawned by a magazine. The starlets live in a tony house stocked with beauty and fashion essentials. No one gets voted off this oasis! (Product placements available.)
4. OUT OF CONTROL These air-traffic controllers help planes navigate the friendly skies--when they're not busy sparring with each other! Based on the film Pushing Tin, it stars Steven Webber (Wings) and Nancy McKeon (Facts of Life).
5. SISQO PROJECT What an odd couple! "Thong Song" crooner Sisqo is an overnight star; TV veteran Bob Newhart keeps the newbie in check.
6. THE TRANNY CROSS a transvestite with a nanny and what do you get? RuPaul! The leggy, blond drag queen cares for a brood of kiddies in this off-the-wall sitcom.
Answer: 2, 5, and 6 are real.