ATLANTA, Feb. 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Georgia Power reminds customers that a few easy fixes around the house will help them stay warm during cold winter weather, while saving money and energy. Making small changes to increase home energy efficiency can deliver big savings for customers during the winter and throughout the year:
- Focus on the Fireplace – Close the flue damper tightly or leave cracked if it's a standing pilot light when the fireplace is not in use to keep conditioned air in the living space. Consider increasing fireplace efficiency with a heat-circulating fireplace and chimney adapter system.
- Let it Flow – Heating accounts for as much as 50 percent of a home's typical winter energy usage. Maximize the efficiency of your units by changing the filters once a month, or every three months for pleated filters.
- Thinking Thermostats – Install a programmable thermostat that automatically adjusts the home's temperature settings when you are away from the house, and save up to $100 a year in energy costs, plus Georgia Power rebates of up to $100.
- It's Great to Insulate – Keep heat where it belongs with proper insulation in attics and walls. You'll save energy 24/7 and be eligible for hundreds of dollars in rebates from Georgia Power.
- Caulk & Strip – Replace cracked or peeling caulk or weather stripping around doors and windows to save up to 10 percent on energy use.
Saving Made Easy
Georgia Power works year round to provide customers with energy saving tools and resources online at www.GeorgiaPower.com/save, including hundreds of easy energy tips, access to a free online energy checkup or a free in-home energy audit and a variety of rebates and incentives for both homes and businesses. Additionally, step by step instructions for the do-it-yourselfer are easy to find on Georgia Power's YouTube Channel with new #PowerfulSavings tips often from @GeorgiaPower on Twitter.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), one of the nation's largest generators of electricity. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.4 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160210/331913
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20050216/CLW066LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stay-warm-save-energy-with-cold-weather-tips-from-georgia-power-300218295.html
SOURCE Georgia Power