NEW YORK (CNNfn) -
There is no current moratorium on accepting inmates into the minimum security prison at Danbury, Conn., according to a source at the Bureau of Prisons.
That means Martha Stewart may be able to gain entrance to the prison, which was her top choice among minimum security facilities. Judge Miriam Cedarbaum has said she would recommend the Bureau of Prisons designate Stewart to Danbury.
In a Sept. 15 letter to the judge, Stewart's lead appeals attorney, Walter Dellinger, wrote that he had been informed, "there is presently a moratorium on the designation of female prisoners to the facility in Danbury, Connecticut."
The Bureau of Prisons source, however, said that was not the case.
The Bureau of Prisons will ultimately determine where Stewart serves her sentence. Stewart said she would like to be jailed at the Danbury federal prison, mostly because it would allow her mother, who turns 90 Thursday, to visit her.
Repeated calls to Martha Stewart's public relations office seeking reaction went unanswered.
Last Wednesday, Stewart said she wanted to "put this nightmare behind me," and would voluntarily begin her prison sentence -- while still appealing her conviction.
Stewart was sentenced in July to five months in prison and five months of house arrest after convictions on charges of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and making false statements to federal investigators about the a December 2001 stock sale.
She resigned as CEO of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (MSO: Research, Estimates) but still holds the title of founding editorial director.
--from CNNfn's Allan Chernoff