Celebrate the Birthday of TV Comedy Legend Lucille Ball With a One-Night-Only Cinema Event Featuring Five Classic Episodes of "I Love Lucy"
On August 6, Ball's Birthday, "I Love Lucy: A Colorized Celebration" Will Include Five Hilarious Episodes And Never-Before-Seen Material
DENVER, June 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- It's perhaps the most famous television sitcom in American history, and on August 6, Fathom Events and CBS Home Entertainment pay tribute to
"I Love Lucy" and its legendary star Lucille Ball when "I Love Lucy: A Colorized Celebration" screens in movie theaters nationwide for one night only on the comedienne's birthday.
This event provides fans a chance to honor Ball in the way she would have loved: by laughing along with her exploits while enjoying full length/uncut versions of her beloved sitcom and a featurette on how "I Love Lucy" is colorized, entitled "Redhead Tales, Colorizing I Love Lucy." Adding to the fun, attendees will receive an exclusive "I Love Lucy" mini poster, while supplies last.
Tickets to "I Love Lucy: A Colorized Celebration" are available beginning Friday, June 7, at www.FathomEvents.com and at participating theater box offices.
Fathom Events and CBS present this colorful comedic celebration in more than 600 U.S. movie theaters on Tuesday, August 6 at 7:00 p.m. local time, through Fathom's Digital Broadcast Network (DBN). For a complete list of theater locations, visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).
For this event, five favorite episodes of "I Love Lucy" will be presented in colorized versions, all meticulously crafted using costumes, sets, props and vintage material as reference, wherever possible.
"We are excited to be exhibiting this timeless franchise in a new manner and hope to bring a new generation of fans to one of the greatest comedies in television history," said Ken Ross, EVP and general manager of CBS Home Entertainment.
"Almost everyone has seen and been captivated by 'I Love Lucy' – but even the biggest Lucy fan has rarely had an experience like this: Seeing Lucy on the big screen and laughing alongside fellow fans in a movie theater," said Fathom Events CEO Ray Nutt.
The five episodes are:
- "The Million Dollar Idea" (1954) – Lucy and Ethel (Vivian Vance) go into business making salad dressing based on the recipe of Lucy's Aunt Martha. Their advertising on a local TV show looks like a success, but when Ricky (Desi Arnaz) finds that they're losing money on each jar, the girls have to find a way to get their customers to cancel their orders.
- "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" (1952) – One of the most famous episodes of "I Love Lucy" was ranked the No. 2 television episode of all time by TV Guide. Lucy angles her way onto Ricky's special as the show's pitch girl, advertising a medicine called "Vitameatavegamin." She believes it contains vitamins, meat, vegetables and minerals. What she doesn't know: It's also 23 percent alcohol.
- "Pioneer Women" (1952) – Lucy and Ethel revolt over housework and want modern conveniences. Ricky and Fred (William Frawley) bet that they can survive longer than the girls without using anything invented after 1900, including electricity.
- "Job Switching" (1952) – After Ricky and Fred get upset about the girls' spending, Lucy and Ethel go to work in a candy factory while the boys do the housework.
- "L.A. at Last!" (1955) – When the Ricardos and the Mertzes arrive in Hollywood, Lucy goes to the Brown Derby restaurant, where her sighting of movie star William Holden turns catastrophic.
CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment will also be bringing
I Love Lucy: Colorized Collection to DVD August 13. The collection will include 16 full-length colorized episodes of "I Love Lucy," including those from the Fathom Events "I Love Lucy: A Colorized Celebration" screening event.
For artwork/photos related to "I Love Lucy: A Colorized Celebration," visit the Fathom Events press site.
About Fathom Events
Fathom Events is the leading event cinema distributor with theater locations in all top 100 DMAs® (Designated Market Areas) and ranks as one of the largest overall theater content distributors. Owned by AMC Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: AMC); Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK); and Regal Cinemas, a subsidiary of the Cineworld Group (LSE: CINE.L), Fathom Events offers a variety of unique entertainment events in movie theaters such as live performances of the Metropolitan Opera, top Broadway stage productions, major sporting events, epic concerts, the yearlong TCM Big Screen Classics series, inspirational events and popular anime franchises. Fathom Events takes audiences behind the scenes for unique extras including audience Q&As, backstage footage and interviews with cast and crew, creating the ultimate VIP experience. Fathom Events' live Digital Broadcast Network ("DBN") is the largest cinema broadcast network in North America, bringing live and pre-recorded events to 1,010 locations and 1,628 screens in 182 DMAs. The company also provides corporations a compelling national footprint for hosting employee meetings, customer rewards events and new product launches. For more information, visit www.FathomEvents.com.
CBS Home Entertainment manages the worldwide DVD and Blu-ray businesses for the CBS Corporation across all lines of content including current hits and classic series from the vast CBS library, as well as new releases from Showtime Networks. CBS Home Entertainment products are released on the CBS DVD and CBS Blu-ray labels.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/celebrate-the-birthday-of-tv-comedy-legend-lucille-ball-with-a-one-night-only-cinema-event-featuring-five-classic-episodes-of-i-love-lucy-300862221.html
SOURCE Fathom Events