CNN/Money One for credit card only hard offer form at $9.95 One for risk-free form at $14.95 w/ $9.95 upsell  

Our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy have changed.

By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to the new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

News > Newsmakers
graphic
'Fahrenheit' may be boon for charities
Newspaper report says 60 percent of the profits from Michael Moore's hit film will go to charities.
July 2, 2004: 7:11 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Charities could be among the biggest winners from the box-office success of the anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11," according to a published report.

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Michael Moore
Movies
Documentaries

The Wall Street Journal reported that about 60 percent of the net profit ultimately generated by the film could go to charities yet to be identified by Walt Disney Co. (DIS: Research, Estimates)

The movie by liberal filmmaker Michael Moore had been financed by Disney unit Miramax, but the media conglomerate declined to release the picture, which is critical of the Bush administration and its efforts against terrorism, saying it did not want to take such a partisan position during an election year. So Disney sold the distribution rights back to Miramax's chiefs, brothers Harvey and Bob Weinstein.

The Journal reported that under terms of the agreement to sell the film rights, the Weinsteins could get roughly the same 40 percent of the profits that they would have received if it had stayed with Miramax. The other 60 percent will go to Disney, and the conglomerate stated earlier that it would donate any profits it sees to charities.

The film has been a box-office success, setting a record for the best U.S. ticket sales by a documentary in its first weekend in theaters. It is also the first documentary to be the top movie at U.S. theaters as it took in $21.8 in its first three days.

The Journal estimates that the film will eventually produce tens of millions of dollars of profits for charities. Disney told the paper that no charities had yet been identified for donations.  Top of page




  More on NEWS
North Korea sanctions: Here's what Trump did
U.S. government sues over alleged bitcoin Ponzi scheme
Bankrupt Toys R Us is hiring for the holidays
  TODAY'S TOP STORIES
North Korea sanctions: Here's what Trump did
Quest: Sunshine disinfects corruption
Senators prep bill to deal with online political ads




graphic graphic