Many founders ask for less money in hopes of maximizing the value of their own equity stake. That's usually a mistake, says Rick LeFaivre, a partner at OVP Venture Partners in Seattle. "Would you rather keep 80% of a company worth zero or 50% of a company worth $500 million?"
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work