Whether you want to hit the trails, get some exercise or just commute to work, there's a bike custom-built for you. Here are five sets of wheels -- all by American artisans -- for five different types of riders.
La Selva Beach, Calif.
In 2005, Craig Calfee began crafting bikes from the bamboo that grew behind his shop outside Santa Cruz, Calif. Since then, Calfee's heat-treated bamboo models have won a slew of awards at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show and become collector's items.
While light, the bikes are far from fragile -- they handle gnarly trails and potholed city streets with equal aplomb.
NEXT: The road warrior
- We asked for your Toys 'R' Us memories. Hundreds of you replied.
- The stunning downfall of Bear Stearns and its bridge-playing CEO
- 10 years after the financial crisis, have we learned anything?
- Despite record profits, banks are playing the victim
- Europe reveals long list of US exports it could hit
- Snapchat loses $800 million after Rihanna responds to offensive ad