Whether you want to hit the trails, get some exercise or just commute to work, there's a bike custom-built for you. Here are five sets of wheels -- all by American artisans -- for five different types of riders.
La Selva Beach, Calif.
In 2005, Craig Calfee began crafting bikes from the bamboo that grew behind his shop outside Santa Cruz, Calif. Since then, Calfee's heat-treated bamboo models have won a slew of awards at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show and become collector's items.
While light, the bikes are far from fragile -- they handle gnarly trails and potholed city streets with equal aplomb.
NEXT: The road warrior
- Uh oh. Thousands of neighborhood bars have closed
- What happens when kids mentor kids
- Remember Smarties? The retro candy is thriving
- D.C. considers country's most generous paid leave policy
- Hangovers create Steem, a caffeinated peanut butter
- The gig economy: More people might have jobs than you think