As department stores struggle and independent boutiques call it quits, high-end sample sale Web sites are enjoying a surge in popularity.
What it offers: 24-hour 70%-off sales start each day at noon. The site earns more than 60% of its daily revenue within the first hour.
Who's selling: Some 300 brands, including Thakoon, Gryphon, Marc by Marc Jacobs
Background: Founded in 2007 by Alexis Maybank (former business development director of e-commerce at AOL) and Alexandra Wilkis Wilson (formerly oversaw retail operations for Bulgari North America)
Like most of these sites, Gilt is invitation-only, but if you're savvy enough to e-mail customer service, you're cool enough to join the club.
Members: 1 million
2008 revenues: $10 million
Projected 2009 revenues: $100 million-plus
NEXT: Rue La La
- Warren Buffett's annual letter: Berkshire got a $29 billion gift from new tax code
- A cloud hangs over the gun industry
- As the Olympics end, South Korea asks: Was the cost worth it?
- Kylie Jenner curse? Snapchat faces its defining moment
- These companies have cut ties with the NRA
- Gun safety groups want Apple TV and Amazon Fire to pull NRATV