As department stores struggle and independent boutiques call it quits, high-end sample sale Web sites are enjoying a surge in popularity.
What it offers: 24-hour 70%-off sales start each day at noon. The site earns more than 60% of its daily revenue within the first hour.
Who's selling: Some 300 brands, including Thakoon, Gryphon, Marc by Marc Jacobs
Background: Founded in 2007 by Alexis Maybank (former business development director of e-commerce at AOL) and Alexandra Wilkis Wilson (formerly oversaw retail operations for Bulgari North America)
Like most of these sites, Gilt is invitation-only, but if you're savvy enough to e-mail customer service, you're cool enough to join the club.
Members: 1 million
2008 revenues: $10 million
Projected 2009 revenues: $100 million-plus
NEXT: Rue La La
- Deductibles would likely rise under GOP bill
- London attack: Four killed in British Parliament carnage
- Trump's Wall Street cop is a big defender of it
- Alaska Airlines is killing off the Virgin America brand
- Judge orders Exxon to hand over climate change docs
- Google Maps solves nagging 'What's your ETA?' problem