Our annual ranking of America's largest corporations

49 of 500
49. Comcast
Financials: Latest Results
Rank: 49 (Previous rank: 66)
CEO: Brian L. Roberts
Was this company a 2011 top stock?

The Philadelphia-based media giant closed its merger with NBC Universal in early 2011, picking up a 51% stake in the company (General Electric holds the other 49%). The deal, which was valued at $30 billion, made Comcast an even bigger force to be reckoned with than it was before (no small feat), giving the company a very strong foothold in both distribution and content segments of the entertainment industry. The deal's closing, along with the decreased pace of cable TV cord-cutting, helped boost Comcast's overall earnings for 2011.

Comcast didn't just call it a day with NBC-U, though. In December, the company joined forces with Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks to sell off $3.6 billion worth of wireless spectrum to Verizon and enter a joint marketing agreement where each company would tout the other's services to their existing customers. The deal prompted several critics to warn that the agreement, if approved by the FCC, would severely damage competition in the industry.

Subscribe to Fortune Magazine
Key financials $ millions % change
from 2010
Revenues 55,842.0 47.2
Profits 4,160.0 14.4
Assets 157,818.0
Stockholders' equity 47,274.0
Market value (3/29/2012) 80,718.0
Profits as % of  
Revenues 7.4
Assets 2.6
Stockholders' equity 8.8
Earnings per share  
2011 $ 1.50
% change from 2010 16.3
2001-2011 annual growth rate % 13.6
Total return to investors %
2011 9.8
2001-2011 annual rate 0.5
Rank Company 500
($ millions)
1 AT&T 11 126,723.0
2 Verizon Communications 15 110,875.0
3 Comcast 49 55,842.0
4 Sprint Nextel 90 33,679.0
5 DirecTV 105 27,226.0
6 Time Warner Cable 142 19,675.0
7 CenturyLink 171 15,351.0
8 DISH Network 191 14,048.4
9 Liberty Global 261 10,246.5
10 Cablevision Systems 348 7,252.3
11 Charter Communications 351 7,204.0
12 NII Holdings 369 6,719.3
13 Frontier Communications 464 5,243.0
14 Telephone & Data Systems 469 5,180.5
15 MetroPCS Communications 490 4,847.4
Issue date: May 21, 2012
Galleries and more
1 Comcast Center
Philadelphia, PA 19103
What do you think about Comcast?
Fortune 500+
Want more on America's top companies? Get data on the full Fortune 1,000 list here. Fortune 500+

Rank # of Fortune 500 Companies
California 53
Texas 52
New York 50
Company Rank
Google 73
NetApp 474
NuStar Energy 377
Company 2011 $ (millions)
Exxon $41,060.0
Chevron $26,895.0
Apple $25,922.0
FAQ and methodology
Included in the survey are U.S. incorporated companies filing financial statements with a government agency. This includes private companies... More
Current Issue
  • Give the gift of Fortune
  • Get the Fortune app
  • Subscribe

Most stock quote data provided by BATS. Market indices are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer. Morningstar: © 2018 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Factset: FactSet Research Systems Inc. 2018. All rights reserved. Chicago Mercantile Association: Certain market data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved. Dow Jones: The Dow Jones branded indices are proprietary to and are calculated, distributed and marketed by DJI Opco, a subsidiary of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC and have been licensed for use to S&P Opco, LLC and CNN. Standard & Poor's and S&P are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor's Financial Services LLC and Dow Jones is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC. All content of the Dow Jones branded indices © S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC 2018 and/or its affiliates.