17 of 40
BACK NEXT
What I learned from Horace
John Bogle
Founder, Vanguard

"Whoever cultivates the Golden Mean avoids both the poverty of a hovel and the envy of a palace." I'm not sure when I first read that quotation from the Roman poet Horace, but I used it to introduce my chapter on balanced funds in "Bogle on Mutual Funds." These funds allocate investors' assets between stocks (usually about 65%) and bonds (the remaining 35%).

Today, sadly, balanced funds seem out of fashion, but the idea of the Golden Mean remains great investment advice. Asset allocation is the most important decision investors must make. It helps keep our counterproductive emotions out of the picture, assuring us of some profits when stocks rise and some protection when they fall. It also enables you to "stay the course" through thick and thin. Come to think of it, that's also a pretty good piece of advice.

NEXT: Don't get too good at the wrong stuff

Last updated July 22 2008: 11:27 AM ET
More Galleries
50 years of the Ford Mustang Take a drive down memory lane with our favorite photos of the car through the years. More
Cool cars from the New York Auto Show These are some of the most interesting new models and concept vehicles from the Big Apple's car show. More
8 CEOs who took a pay cut in 2013 Median CEO pay inched up 9% in 2013 to $13.9 million. But not everyone got a bump last year. Here are eight CEOs who missed out. More

Special Offer
Market indexes are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer LIBOR Warning: Neither BBA Enterprises Limited, nor the BBA LIBOR Contributor Banks, nor Reuters, can be held liable for any irregularity or inaccuracy of BBA LIBOR. Disclaimer. Morningstar: © 2014 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer The Dow Jones IndexesSM are proprietary to and distributed by Dow Jones & Company, Inc. and have been licensed for use. All content of the Dow Jones IndexesSM © 2014 is proprietary to Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Chicago Mercantile Association. The market data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved. FactSet Research Systems Inc. 2014. All rights reserved. Most stock quote data provided by BATS.