Afterward, indulge in the region's most famous export: Delta blues. Schimmel's reunites the house band from the Subway, a legendary-but-closed juke joint, for some seriously dirty blues.
For musical variety, catch the acts at Hal and Mal's. While you're grooving to a jazz combo or some folkie guitar strumming, sample some fried pickles doused in comeback sauce, the city's own culinary specialty. The combo of mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup and mustard may sound revolting, but no Mississippi po'boy - or trip to Jackson - is complete without it.
NEXT: A literary heritage
- Tech companies hindering criminal investigations
- Soon, there will be just 3 black Fortune 500 CEOs
- Health insurance terms: Clearing up the confusion
- These airline stocks have doubled while rivals go bust
- Trump's tax plan won't mean the end for H&R Block
- Does it make financial sense to go to grad school?