End the night by taking in Oakland's strangest restaurant and its most bizarre bar. Old Weang Ping in East Oakland (6217 MacArthur Blvd.; 510-430-8771) sits on a street corner so sketchy that the owners keep the front door locked. Once you knock and enter, you'll discover a husband-and-wife operation that's worth the trip for the made-anyway-you-like-it Thai food -- the kitschy jungle decor doesn't hurt either.
NEXT: Tickle the senses
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work