This west coast port city has way more to offer than its reputation suggests.
On your way in from the Oakland airport, pull off Interstate 880 to decompress at By Numi Tea Garden. Created in 2007 by the brother-and-sister team behind the popular Numi brand of teas, it's an oasis of Zenlike calm. The servers, who are attentive and knowledgeable, provide a brewing timer with every pot. The Wi-Fi is free, as are the sample teas in the barrel by the door.
NEXT: Historic stays
- Digital tip jar coming to a coffee shop near you
- How immigrant entrepreneurs are making it
- Ex-con launches startup aimed at inmates
- Free startup advice from Silicon Valley's best, including Marissa Mayer, Marc Andreessen
- Why Atlanta is ripe for innovation
- I'm a legal immigrant, but not allowed to work